Most of the Indian sweets or mithai calls for mawa or khoya. I have many readers who are asking for instant khoya recipe because it is not easily available where they live. Here I am with a quick mawa recipe.
This can be the BEST khoya substitute.
It is made from full-fat milk powder. Yes, you need FULL FAT not non-fat or low-fat milk powder.
If and only if you have time and if you want to then you can make traditional homemade khoya which is easy but very time-consuming. If someone asks me to choose one then I will go for Instant mawa as it is quick and easy to make. I made mithais using both traditional and instant mawa and I don't see any difference between them. Then why go for a lengthy process when you have this quick recipe.
My grand mom always says that khoya is a very good source of vitamin D and calcium which is essential for healthy bones for growing kids as well as for adults. But you have to be careful that more consumption of it is not good for health. It will result in overweight which will cause many health problems. So always consume it in moderation for good health.
Check out other 'how to' recipes
milk masala powder
How to make roti
How to cook basmati rice
How to make instant khoya, mawa?
1) Take milk powder in a bowl.
2) Heat the milk and ghee in a small pan. Heat the mixture just till it comes to a boil.
3) Add this hot milk-ghee mixture to milk powder.
4) And mix it with a spoon. It will look crumbly. If it looks still dry you can add more milk 1 teaspoon of milk at a time.
5) You can shape it however you like while it is still warm. As it cools it will hold that shape and it will harden. After that, you can grate it or crumble it if needed.
You can make many Indian sweets using this khoya substitute-
Choco Pista Rolls
Instant Khoya, Mawa Recipe (From Milk Powder)
- 1 cup Full fat milk powder (aka mawa powder)
- ½ tablespoon Ghee (Clarified butter)
- ¼ cup Milk
Making instant khoya or mawa:
- Take milk powder in a bowl.
- Heat the milk and ghee in a small pan. Heat the mixture just till it comes to a boil.
- Add this hot milk-ghee mixture to milk powder.
- And mix it with spoon. It will look crumbly. If it looks still dry you can add more milk 1 teaspoon of milk at a time.
- You can shape it however you like while it is warm. As it cools it will hold that shape and it will harden.
- After that you can grate it or crumble it as needed.
Hi, I tried this method of making instant khoya and I liked this much better than the microwave instant khoya. Thank you for the easy recipe.
I saw the photos and post on your site. Glad to know that you liked it
Dr San Myint
Thanks for sharing