Can you believe this Sweet Mango Pickle is ready in under 15 minutes? After trying this Instant mango pickle recipe, I promise you will never buy the readymade one. The recipe seriously could not be easier and well worth the time.
This pickle is sweet and sour with a little spicy taste. In Hindi language, it is called khatta meetha aam ka achaar. Here khatta=sour, meetha=sweet. aam=mango, achaar=pickle.
You can consider the pickles as tongue-tickling delights. It has a combination of many flavors that will burst in your mouth. And you will ask for more and more.
Only 2-3 teaspoons of it are served with your meal. But it can sure jazz up your complete meal.
Traditionally the pickle making requires the 8-10 days of time. But today’s recipe is the Instant mango pickle recipe.
Instead of letting it mature for days under sunlight, we are cooking it on the stove-top. And it will be ready in under 15 minutes. It can’t be quicker than this.
Ingredients used for sweet mango pickle:
- Raw mangoes: In India, special raw green mango verity (e.g. rajapuri or small tender baby mangoes) are easily available during the season. Here in USA, we get just one kind of big green raw mangoes available all year around (you can see the pic below in steps).
- Oil: You can use any flavorless, less pungent oil e.g. canola oil, corn oil, peanut oil, safflower oil. The amount of oil used is very less compared to traditional pickle recipes.
- Mustard seeds
- Fenugreek seeds
- Jaggery: depending on the color of your jaggery, the color of end pickle may vary.
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder: adding very little just to give the hint of spicy taste.
How to make Sweet Mango Pickle?
- Wash the mangoes really well. Wipe it dry or place on the kitchen towel and let it dry out completely.
- Chop them into 1 inch big pieces.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let the seeds crackle.
- Once seeds get slight brown color, add chopped mangoes and jaggery.
Also add salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
- Keep mixing and cooking. Let the jaggery melt.
- Once it is melted completely, it becomes syrupy and loose. At this time turn off the stove and let the pickle cool down completely.
- This is how it looks after cooling down. The mango pieces will get soften more during this cooling time period. The pieces will get more soften the next day.
Store the cooled sweet mango pickle into the clean, dry glass jar or container.
The shelf life of Instant Mango Pickle:
- It stays good in the refrigerator for 6 months if followed below tips.
- Store the pickle in a clean, dry (moisture-free) glass jar or container. A day before wash the jar well, let it dry out completely. You can keep under the sun for an hour.
- Always use a clean, dry spoon to take the pickle.
- If you have made the big batch then store some pickle in a small jar for everyday use. So you don’t need to open the big jar every day and this way it increases its shelf life.
Because this instant mango pickle is just for me (hubby doesn’t eat pickles, huh!!) I have made a small batch. But you can double, triple or increase the amount as required.
Serving ideas for sweet mango pickle:
- with paratha, stuffed paratha, thepla etc.
- with khichdi or curd rice, dal-rice
- on the side along with your meal (roti-sabzi).
- It will jazz up any bland, boring meal.
📋 Recipe Card
Sweet Mango Pickle Recipe (Instant Mango Pickle)
- 300 grams or 2 cups Raw mango (Unripe mango) cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- ½ cup Jaggery (Gur) tightly packed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Red chili powder
- Wash the mangoes and dry completely.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes and keep them aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add rest of the ingredients (raw mangoes, jaggery, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder) and mix.
- Let the jaggery melt, keep stirring and cooking till all the jaggery dissolves and becomes syrupy.
- Once melted, it starts boiling and bubbling. Turn off the stove at this point.
- Let the pickle cool down completely.
- Then store in the clean, dry, moisture free glass jar.
- It stays good for 6 months at room temperature.
When using the mangoes, are they ripe or unripened? Do they need to be soft?
use unripe mangoes which are hard (not soft at all) and have green skin.
If you are familiar green raw mangoes used for thai green mango salad.
I found this recipe convenient. I’m the only taker for pickles in my family. . Hence the method & measurements too were suitable for making at home. Prepared it now, will upload photo too !!
Glad that you found recipe helpful