Sweet, Punjabi Lassi Recipe – A classic, traditional beverage for hot summer days. Now a days it is not only popular in Punjab or North India but all over the India.
This lassi is really thick since less amount of liquid is used vs amount of yogurt. And because it is thick consistency it is also quite filling and heavy. But if you prefer thin and light version then add more liquid (water or milk).
It is cooling to your body during the hot or warmer days. Because it is made from yogurt and it has cooling properties.
If serving it right away or immediately then always use chilled yogurt and chilled water/milk. Or you can make it ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge for few hours before serving.
Traditionally it is topped with malai or makhan (white butter) or sometimes with khoya or rabri. I have not added any topping here otherwise it would make it too heavy.
How to make Lassi Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Jump to Recipe
1) Take the yogurt and sugar in a bowl. Always use fresh, chilled and thick curd, do not use watery part.
2) Now using wooden churner (madani or valonu), beat it very well or till the sugar dissolves completely.
3) And yogurt will get smooth and slightly frothy.
4) Now add cardamom powder.
5) Also add rose water
6) And add ½ cup of chilled water.
7) Again churn or whisk it till becomes frothy.
8) You can see the good froth on top.
Pour into serving glass. Garnish with little sprinkle of cardamom powder or sliced pista or kesar.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy a glass of lassi anytime during the summer season or after the meal. It can be served as a breakfast, this makes very filling breakfast.
Sweet, Punjabi Lassi Recipe
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 cups Plain Yogurt (Dahi or Curd), chilled
- 3-4 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ cup Water or Milk (chilled)
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- ½ teaspoon Rose water
- Take yogurt and sugar in a bowl and start beating using wooden churner aka madani or wire whisk till sugar dissolves.
- Then add cardamom powder, rose water and chilled water.
- Again beat it till it becomes frothy.
- Pour into serving glass, garnish with little cardamom powder and serve.